Sunday, February 2, 2014

Blogpost # 2: Lucid Dreaming: Evidence

The photo that I saw on Facebook.
I bet you would like to sleep super early everyday if you know about lucid dreaming.

I used to hate sleep because it constricts me from doing everyday activities but when I earned about lucid dreaming... I would never want to wake up again.

I first discovered lucid dreaming in a posted photo on Facebook, the post gives you instructions in how to lucid dream. When I first saw it I was like "Nah... It's just a scam to trick gullible people." After a few days, I tried it, maybe I was too gullible or maybe I just got super curious because the photo that I saw multiplied on Facebook, I saw a lot of them spawning on the Internet. So when I first tried it, it was a success! I never thought I could do it in the first try, so I continued to do it. It's a very fun thing to do but with all that fun I started to think, Am I really doing those things or is my first thought about lucid dreaming true? With all that doubt I tried searching for evidence myself.

In an article "What is lucid dreaming?" from that site "world-of-lucid-dreaming.com". Rebecca Turner says that "Tibetan Monks have used dream control for more than a thousand years, in a philosophy called Dream yoga". Since it's been used before by peaceful and honest monks maybe it's real since monk's don't look like the're a fan of scamming. And it was first coined "Lucid dreaming" in the 20th century by a Dutch psychiatrist named Fredrick Van Eeden, meaning mental clarity in dreams.

So is lucid dreaming scientifically proven?

In another article "Lucid dreaming research"  from that site "lucidipedia.com" Tim Post says
"Evidence for lucid dreaming was first found by LaBerge et al. (1981), based on earlier studies showing that some of the eye movements of REM sleep corresponds to the reported direction of the dreamer's direction of sight." The only scientific evidences of lucid dreaming are laboratory experiments.

So lucid dreaming occurs when someone is in a state called REM sleep. REM sleep is a state in which the eyes move rapidly, REM occurs 90 minutes after sleep onset. Intense dreaming occurs during REM sleep.

Even though the only evidences of lucid dreaming are experiences and laboratory experiments, a lot of articles say that lucid dreaming is true. I also agree on that because I've experienced it, but still a lot of people are doubting it because there isn't really a strong pillar of evidence to hold that phenomenon in to place.

No comments:

Post a Comment